• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Spring clip to hold heatsink to PCB device. What material?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by GarethW, Mar 30, 2011.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I’m trying to design a spring clip that will be used to force a heatsink down onto a PCB component. I’ve seen similar things made from 0.6mm thick stainless steel.

Presumably I’d need to have the parts heat treated to ensure the finished part behaves like a spring (I.E. it must always want to revert back to its original shape and mustn’t deform permanently).

Two questions:

1) Is 0.6mm thick stainless steel a good choice?
      2) What heat treatment should I specify?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

3. garnettools

garnettools Member

Re: Spring clip to hold heatsink to PCB device. What materia

0.6 mm. stainless steel spring will be suficient if the load on it is quite less its capacity. This will not let the permenant deformation in the SS spring. Actually, SS is not a Spring material and hence can be will permenently deform if higher weight is imposed. As I don't know the dimensions of the spring so cannot say how MUCH weight.

Secondy, you probably need the SS to avoid rust. If that is so you can also try a Spring Steel i.e. EN42J with hard chrome plating. You can easily get the material in hardenedd ground sheet form and will have to just Plate it with Chromium for longer life and probably making it ageless.

Heat-treatment - I have never heard of heat treatment of Stainless steel material. It may just to increase its hardness so probably the normal quenching method must do on it.

Hope it help you

4. GarethW

Hi Ankur, thanks for the help. I've done some research and think that "half-hardened" stainless steel might be a good option. In fact I discovered a drawing of a similar clip and that's what it specifies. Unfortunately the spec is a bit vague "1/2 hard stainless steel". I think this could be an economical choice. I have a local supplier who can make me some samples. Might be worth a try...

5. garnettools

garnettools Member

Congs! and all the best.
      If you have, do let me know more details of this 1/2 hard stainless steel, i.e. elasticity, strength, corrosion details and hardness.
      Thanking you
      ANKUR BANTHIA

6. GarethW

Sure - I'll post a datasheet or some more info when I have it.