• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Store boxes on their large side with gravity.

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by FriendOfGhost, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Mark Stapleton

Mark Stapleton Active Member

That's a good idea Ramana, if one can assume that the boxes will ride down the remainder of the tube without flipping (if I understand you correctly). I don't think one can assume that, though.

Peter, I had pondered the idea orienting the boxes so they always fall onto the small end, and then blowing air down the side of the tube to make them all fall over on their largest side. That might could be done with a small U-shaped open channel on the side, but I'm a little skeptical of that idea because the air stream will fan out as it moves further down the tube. And then one will have to remove the tube (with the air channel in the side) and replace with another tube (also with an air channel) IF I understand the original poster's intent.

3. Ramana Rao

Ramana Rao Well-Known Member

To make it clear Mark, what I had in mind was a tube of dimensions 11Cm x 2Cm. As the box is of 10Cm x 5Cm x 1Cm, it cannot flip in the tube. If the tube is inclined, then maybe a spring loaded flap at the tube end, would deflect the sliding box to get the final orientation. The stacking has to be outside the tube for this to work.

4. Peter Darby

Peter Darby New Member

air flow

Hi, my thinking was that there is a passive column of air under the box that needs to find a way around the edges of the box to allow it to progress to the bottom of the tube (no imposed or fan forced flow intended).
      Variations in air gap on the ends creates a preferential air flow on one side or the other (based on thin film lubrication theory where resistance to flow is a square or cubic relationship to film thickness - not sure of exact relationship but highly leveraged). This effect will flip an edge, especially at the short ends where the resulting force/flow has the greatest lever arm. You may be able to vent this air column to allow the box to fall and finally rest as you intend.

For an alternate source of ideas look at vibratory feeders and how they get non symetric shapes to orientate consistently.:)

5. FriendOfGhost

FriendOfGhost New Member

dear friends,
      sorry I didnt write back as I was busy with this project. all of these posts are very usefull to me. we are trying to plan whole system right now. but we faces another problem which is not related with this forum. we need to read barcodes of these boxes while they drop or stack. thank you very much.

6. vic.blackall

vic.blackall Well-Known Member

Without knowing the method of delivery or machine speed it's not easy to determine a viable solution to this problem. Depending on the method of delivery is it possible to have, on two of the inside faces of the tube, a series of plastic or spring steel leaf springs to impart a light holding force on the packs. At the top of the tube each pack would be pushed down one pitch, pack thickness, and would then be held in position until the next pack is inserted. At the top of the stack when the packs are inserted you could have your bar code reader.