• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Straight Cylinder vs. Crossed Cylinder

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Cylinder, May 19, 2012.

1. Cylinder

Cylinder New Member

Dear Mecha Mega Gurus,

Your precious counsel is needed (and will be highly appreciated, apart from improving you karma forever) for correct understanding of the following word combination:

- the straight cylinder –

Let’s start from the beginning:

The whole phrase sounds like this:

“The container will be filled with the straight cylinder waste compactor to a pressure of 300-500 kN.â€

1. First of all, I believe that the phrase above is composed by someone, whose native language is not English (such as myself). Am I right?
      2. However, I think that the author wants to say that this “waste compactor†may create pressure in the range of 300-500 kN. Am I right?
      3. To create such pressure this “waste compactor†has certain mechanism, certain operator/actuator, of a “straight cylinder†type. Am I right?
      4. As far as I understand, it’s possible to call this “straight cylinderâ€-type operator (if we re-phrase it): “piston actuator with horizontal stroke of pistonâ€. Am I right?
      5. Or does this “straight cylinder†have any other meaning?
      6. And is it really relevant for the “waste compactor†that it is of “straight cylinderâ€- type and not, let’s say “crossed cylinderâ€-type?

Thank you very much beforehand!

3. mohamedalsaidmo

mohamedalsaidmo Active Member

this is very analytical view.

4. MDR

MDR Active Member

it sounds like the wording of a patent. Perhaps the 'straight cylinder' phrase was inserted to get around another patent which uses a crossed cylinder?

5. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

The cylinder(s) are mounted exactly as the name suggests:

A straight cylinder(s) pushes the compaction plate directly towards the fixed plate, the cylinder(s) are therefore as long as the stroke required plus the length on the end caps and fixings.

The crossed cylinders are mounted in the form of a cross, mounted on one side of the frame to just passed the centre of the plate, both pushing the compaction plate diagonally, a bit like the cross legs on a scissor lift.

A straight mounted arrangement is more efficient, as it gives a direct push, but it needs more room as the cylinder(s) are longer, the cross mounted arrangement is less efficient as the cylinders are pushing at an angle but is smaller as the cylinders fold to being amost flat across the compactor as in a scissor lift.

6. Cylinder

Cylinder New Member

Thank you very much indeed, people (especially - the brilliant PWASS for his straightforward and comprehensive explanation)!