• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Suggestion on what material to use

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by KevinC, Jul 7, 2011.

1. OllieT

OllieT Member

I would worry about the durability of plating steel with chrome or any other plating. I would also look into aluminum as it seems like the best choice except for strength. If I was you, I would talk with a fabricator and see what options they have. They may be able to increase the strength of aluminum or create a more corrosive-resistant steel that is more durable than plating.

3. KevinC

KevinC Well-Known Member

30ksi-50ksi range are not something I'm looking for, I'll only consider them if the final cost is a drastic saving compares to the other kind. I'm looking at maybe 70ksi+. (100ksi+ would be optimal). Currently, if I'm using 50ksi, I have to double all my area of my parts to compensate, which means almost doubling the material used.

But what do i know? I'm not even sure how much cost changes. The cost of a double strength material vs the cost of double material for strength. The cost of doubling material vs the cost of heat treating a part. The cost of plating a part vs the cost of using stainless steel.

But something gotta be done, so for the sake of really be able to make this part first, I'll go for a high strength stainless steel 17-4 first, and if I find using other materials will lead to drastic cost saving, that's for another revision. =)

Since there will be a few moving part in the design. And I know using the same stainless steel again each other may cause galling. What are my options? Using different stainless steel at similar strength level, or should I go electro-polish one part and not the other (to create surface difference so they won't be galling together). The operation temperature at max is 40degree C (105 degree F).

Thanks for all the suggestion so far. You guys are awesome!

4. Harshad

Harshad Member

Dear User,

If size and weight is not a problem, go for forging, hardening and chrome platting.

Regards,
      HP

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Describing what the part is, how complex and precise it needs to be, and what it does, would help a lot... throwing numbers, 50ksi, 100ksi,etc., around is one thing, but much of engineering is looking at the whole picture and seeing how it all fits/works together.

6. sdod

sdod Member

17-4 will almost certainly do what you need it to do. However, as I suggested earlier, the 41xx series of steel (i.e. 4140) is a chrome/moly steel. You put a chrome (electroless nickel) coating on it you will have a part that will last a good long time. Your earlier post suggested the introduction to salt water was intermittent. If this is the case a MIM 4140 part with a chrome coating will be cost effective when you get into the 1000 or more parts. That being said, machining the 17-4 will work also. Good luck with your project and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

7. KevinC

KevinC Well-Known Member

Sorry, Dana. I don't know how much to describe as I still getting used to the nda. So I"m usually on the safe side that tries not to describe as much as possible.

8. KevinC

KevinC Well-Known Member

Thanks sdod. I'll definitely put that into a real consideration and will send in my design for a quote for both and see the cost differences. I'm very excited to know more than just pure stainless steel as a design material (for cost sake). Thanks for the great suggestion!

9. AdamW

AdamW Member

Chrome or nickel plate is fine until you get any damage, then corrosion sets in real quick!

Instead, how about a carbon or alloy steel with a Tufftrided (nitrocarburised) coating? The mechanical and corrosion-resistant properties can be quite surprising. (And you can have any colour so long as it's black)

10. KevinC

KevinC Well-Known Member

Interesting, I'm learning another type of coating now. Thanks AdamW fro suggesting, I'll look into it and see how the cost and other factor comes out.

11. SCIYER

SCIYER Well-Known Member

Tufftriding is a good option.
      By the way AISI 304 is Austenitic Stainless Steel (remains Austenitic at room temperature) and cannot be heat treated. For heat treatable stainless steel, one may look at 302 or 410 (Martensitic SS). Another option could be to go for Liquid Nitriding and buffing the exterior, which gives a corrosion resistant 0.004 mm layer.