• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • switch

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by designwhoops, May 19, 2014.

1. designwhoops

designwhoops New Member

Hi everyone,
      I am attempting to build a switch using analog panel (for example ammeter - [​IMG])

and two pins made of silver wire. The arm of analog panel (another silver wire glued to it) is used to short those two pins when let say 20 amps has reached. My problem is the alignment of those two pins to ensure that both pins will get equal contact. I will appreciate brainstorming on it. Should I just let vendor design and manufacture it? Can I build this myself? Is this switch concept ineffective (arm and two pins). Note that wire on arm is thin to minimize weight.

3. Ronny Theiss

Ronny Theiss New Member

In a typical switch of this type, connecting one side of the switch to the wire permanently (electrically) will make the alignment less critical because the switch must only contact one pin.

If you use a lever type switch to connect the two pins it is best to make sure the contact is slightly spring loaded so that it contacts the far side first, otherwise the wire will tend to bend away from the far contact through continued use. This would eventually lead to intermittent contact.

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Nowadays, doing this with electronics is much easier than trying to hack a mechanical meter.