• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Tap tool supplier for (1.3125" - 32 UNS-2A) thread.

Discussion in 'Machining' started by JohnS, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JohnS

JohnS Member

A friend needs to form a '1.3125" - 32 UNS-2A' thread in a plastic prototype part but is having difficulty finding a supplier of a suitable tap tool. Any ideas?

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks, John S

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    3. JohnS

JohnS Member

Just checked the part type ... not plastic, the tap needs to be formed in an aluminium housing.

John S

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Are you certain it's 1.3125 and not .3125? The finest thread size I see for 1-5/16 is 27 pitch, but 5/16-32 is an available size. You might have to single point it... what is it for?

The most complete source I know of (in the US at least) is MSC.

5. JohnS

JohnS Member

Hello Dana, Many thanks for your reply.

I've checked with with my friend and the thread spec is indeed 1.3125" - 32 UNS-2A (21/16 or 1&5/16 inch nominal size).
      The thread details come from a spec drawing for an optical lens part. A matching thread is required in the aluminium housing for lens mounting purposes. I guess the "UNS" designation is used because "32" is a non-standard thread pitch.

John S

6. s7silver

s7silver New Member

Why not just cut the thread on a lathe instead of using a tap? Any reasonably good machine shop should be able to do this.

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Optical thread, that makes sense. Yes, the UNS means standard form but non standard pitch. You will probably have to single point it with a lathe, but as s7silver said it's easy to do.

8. Karl

Karl New Member

A competent machinist with a CNC machine can thread mill any weirdo size and pitch thread. A tap is most likely more expensive (if attainable in that config) than a quicky thread mill job. Good luck.

9. Randall Wink

Randall Wink Member

If this is indeed a one-off, you can turn the thread on a steel bar, cut reliefes along the axis and heat treat the bar to make a "home made" tap that will cut a couple of threads.