• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Techniques to improve the bearing capacity of soil

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Jeffrey123, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Jeffrey123

Jeffrey123 New Member

I am doing a research on the techniques by which we can determine the in-situ state of soils, rocks. I found some non-intrusive and intrusive techniques of ground investigations here at https://www.dstgroup.com/services/geotechnical-engineering/ground-investigation-in-situ-testing/ . In non-intrusive technique, they have mentioned about sampling using piston sampler but I have no idea how it is being done. Does anyone know about it? Also what are the techniques used to improve the bearing capacity of soil?

3. thanhtran

thanhtran New Member

Non-Destructive

Hi Jeffrey
      A good way to determine the state of soil is by falling weight deflectometer. It is non-destructive and only requires contact with the surface of the soil. Is suits for soil up to several metres deep. It uses a heavy weight that is repeatedly dropped on the ground and measures the deflection pulse of the ground to determine the soil strength. You can combine this with a core sample (destructive) that drill through the ground and retrieve a shallow or deep core using a core drill. The drill has a hydraulic piston that progressively push the bit downwards to retrieve the sample. When in the lab you can categorise and test each layer of the soil for moisture, strength, etc. You can combine this with the FWD data for a detailed structural model of the soil. If you need continuous data you can augment this with GPR, ground penetrating radar. But this is not particularly reliable and is prone to bad results from human error in data collection and interpretation.

Source: 5 years in geotechnical engineering using all of the above and more, and degree in Civil Engineering.