Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by bw2011, Jan 11, 2012.
Good call. GMM (Genetically Manufactured Meat)
OMG this board is full of liberals!
that's a question for ya....are engineers more or less likely to be liberals than other sorts of folks?
John Elfreth Watkins is really a great prophet! I hope your good prediction will come true like his!
Have you seen ErEric Jackson's prediction that 'Google and facebook might be gone completely in 5-8 years'? Recently, different people had written different articles about if they will disapear or not. It's interesting.
Far less likely, in my experience... engineers tend to understand that 2+2=4 no matter how much liberals want to believe it's 5.
Some of these 2012 predictions are already coming true. That’s weird seems like 2012 was yesterday and feels like we all thought about this in 2012 but that’s totally not true.
Some of the other predictions just scare me. I am claustrophobic and would never be able to live in cubicle homes, especially the coffin sized ones.
Great question on whether engineers are more or less likely to be liberals.
Difficult one to answer. I've met many old engineers who could be described as as conservatives (with a small c) because they're basically just set in their ways... but at the same time lots of engineers tend to be open to new solutions and also fairly highly-educated which probably makes them more likely to be liberal.
Well I cannot agree to that. The more experienced engineers I have seen always were the ones to promote us to think open mindedly, come up with our own ideas. Try and fail and then repeat. These are the qualities I got from my professors or previous jobs and these guys were all old engineers, highly experienced.
'Conservative' and 'Liberal' are terms that do not cross borders well... I submit that it is not worth discussing unless these terms are rather rigidly defined.
In 100 years:
1) Genetic medicine and digital phenotyping will make our current medical practices look like bleeding and leeches.
2) Communication over distances with electromagnetic radiation will be largely supplanted by another method. No clue what it will be.
3) I agree that proteins will largely be manufactured rather than raised or bred. Vegetarianism will be the norm and eating animals will be considered barbaric in the civilized world.
4) Cybernetics will be as common and ordinary as clothing is today.
5) We will still be largely bound to our solar system and FTL travel will remain effectively unobtainable.
6) A hydrogen based energy economy will result in concerns about a depleted oxygen level in the atmosphere.
7) Teenagers will be ungrateful whippersnappers who don't realize how good they have it.
Separate names with a comma.