• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Texture for emitting surface of lightpipe (injection moulded)

Discussion in 'Plastic moulding' started by GarethW, Nov 27, 2014.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I have designed a lightpipe where due to time constaints I specified a "light spark finish" texture on the emitting surface (to diffuse the light so it radiates better over a wider viewing angle).

Samples of the lightpipe have arrived from China and the texture applied is too light in my opinion. Therefore I would like to increase it. The toolmaker opted for "VDI3400-12" spark finish. I am unable to accurately specify the texture I want because I can't seem to get hold of VDI3400 comparator plates anywhere!

Does anyone have any ideas where I can obtain VDI3400 texture comparator plates?

...or am I better of forgetting about VDI and use mold-tech instead

3. K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S. Well-Known Member

Hi Gareth,
      Mold Tech in a heartbeat for me (and I have no affiliation or prior knowledge with or of the Company) - we also use lightpipes for a specific application and we had an awful lot of problems to start with, including the correct material that would allow the light to emit radially throughout the extent of the curved pipe.
      But from bitter experience, any Company that provides a fully sampled range of easily accessible comparative textures is the way to go.

4. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Thanks very much - that certainly looks like the way to go :)