• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • The Icelandic Volvano (Eyjafjallajokul...) Photos

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Pete, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Found this page doing the rounds on Twitter - via the Daily Telegraph (UK national newspaper) - several amazing photos of Eyjafjallajokul (absolutely no idea where to start with that) - lightning in the ash cloud and also the Northern Lights - wish I was there!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthp ... ption.html

How's everyone getting on with the 'Volcanic Ash Cloud of Dooooooom' (cue thunder clap)? Don't personally know anyone effected by it, but there are thought to be around 150,000 British tourists stuck outside the UK, but the Navy has now been mobilised to go and bring them 'all' home!

Climbed up to the Greenwich Observatory (Meridian Line) at the weekend in London and it was a nice experience seeing the skies over the city completely clear of planes and vapour trails! The air seemed clearer too, but that's probably just my imagination!

3. shlamimo

shlamimo Active Member

Wow! Thanks for posting this! Fantastic photos.

It's a bit hazy today in Cambridge, but we had very clear skies during the weekend. I actually expected something more dramatic than just a faint haze/cloudiness (which we have here often anyway). Sigh.

4. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Volvano? Is this a metric Volcano? Aluminum... Aluminium.... Lets call the whole thing off...

5. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Well spotted, I guess a Volvano is a smoother more velvet-ier type of Volcano found in Icelandic parts.......

Anyway, British people have a hard enough time coming to terms with our own language without the Americanisms buldozering there way through the dictionary (I don’t care that Colour makes more sense spelt Color).

For example:

Grass is either pronounced 'Gras' or 'Grarse'.

Garage is pronounced 'Garidge' or 'Gararge'

Scone is either 'Scon' or 'Scown'

Needless to say, the correct pronunciations are Gras Garidge and Scon. Anyone who disagrees is just wrong!

6. mvalenti

Well said! English? Americans havnt spoken it for years.... Now I am from Boston, and when in a professional environment I try to subdue the local colloquialisms... Here is are a few words in boston-speak, and real english...

Doe-wah = door
      Hay-yah = hair
      Wuh-stah = Worcester (a town east of "Bawstun")
      Hah-vid=Harvard (you cant pahk you-wah cah in Havid Yaahd... you cant even ride a bike in there...)
      Packie=Package store/liquer store
      and "Wicked Pissa!"=fantastic news, as in "Doooode, we hit the packie the other day and bud light was on sale, wicked pissa!!!"
      use guys= you people, gender not important.

7. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

:shock: :? hit a what?

8. mvalenti

hit the packie....

roughly translates to "went to the liquer store"