• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Thermal problem: Designing an aluminium heatsink?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by kenny82, Oct 19, 2009.

1. kenny82

kenny82 Well-Known Member

I need some help with a thermal question...

I am trying to design an aluminium die casting. It is for an enclosure but will have a PCB screwed to its inside face. The outside face must act as a heatsink.
      I have two questions:

1) If I need to dissipate 20W of heat from that PCB, what should the heatsink “fin†dimensions be like (thickness ad height), and what should their spacing be? I need to ensure optimal performance, but don’t know how to best to design a heatsink. Is there a standard formula or standard rules for designing such a thing?

2) Secondly, I have seen heatsinks that have “pins†instead of “finsâ€. How much better is the performance of pins compared to fins? I presume pins are better because they have more surface area? How could I calculate the geometry of the pins to ensure optimal performance?

Any help appreciated. :)

3. bigbamboo

bigbamboo Guest

Do you have an airflow or is it free convection.

4. kenny82

kenny82 Well-Known Member

Its for the outdoors so there will be some airflow but I want to design for zero airflow to be considering the worst situation possible. I already design a heatsink - it seems to work ok but I would still like an answer to my original question because maybe I can optimise it.,

5. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member