• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Tim from south Mississippi

Discussion in 'Pop in and say hello!' started by timothyeiland, May 8, 2014.

1. timothyeiland

timothyeiland New Member

Hello everyone its nice to be here. I'm a Design III. I'm new here and I have a few questions. I have been applying to oil jobs on Monster and Careerbuilder with no responses back from anyone. It looks as if there prime drawing system is Cadworx and was wondering if I took this online course for this program if that would make me more marketable to them even though my experience is in ship design. What do I have to do to prove to them i can do their design work? Are they so picky they would step over some one who would be a great employee and only needs an opportunity? Can some one help me out here? Anyway its great to be here i just wanted to start a new direction in my life and thought the oil and gas field would be a great place to start. Thanks Ya'll and have a great day

3. Travis W

Travis W Member

oil and gas query

Tim. Cadworx is a pipeline software that will be used for plants pipelines etc. Companies that Design downhole tools susbea equipment etc use solidworks inventor and creo. Some factors that may effect their interest include longevity in your positions, number of jobs, etc. I have often shied away from hiring mid careers from other industries because they demand top tier money, and need the same amount of training to become competent. When you add in that fresh-outs have a better attitude, ie they know what they don't know, it just makes more sense to hire them. It takes us about two years to develop sufficient product knowledge, calculation ability, material selection, coating selection, HSE requirements, etc. Before they start to be useful. Admittedly some companies may not be that stringent, but if so they are looking for draftsmen not designers. Our senior designers are known to do FEA, design, build, and test their own equipment. To ask for that kind of money with none of the knowledge is a tough sell.

4. timothyeiland

timothyeiland New Member

thanks for the reply Travis. I would be willing to take the lower pay and be considered a fresh-out and learn thier processes and standards they operate by. i understand it would take training to get me up to speed. I welcome the change, the challenge of doing something new. So you don't think taking these online courses for the certificates would not do me any good. Thanks again