• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Tips for Registering a Patent

Discussion in 'Protecting your designs or inventions' started by TheyCallMeCy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. TheyCallMeCy

TheyCallMeCy Member

I've read a few articles online but research that goes into developing a patent needs to be so thorough that I figured I'd ask some people who have probably been through it. This isn't my first rodeo either but I haven't registered for a lot of patents and I'm afraid I'm forgetting to dot my i's so to speak. Can anyone share any words of wisdom or tips for a slightly green patent seeker?

3. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

Definitely make sure you do the upfront leg work to make sure no other similar patent exists. This is a giant pain and we generally always hire it out.

The language and description of the item is very very critical. I always try and get one or two people who have no clue anything about the product/design to read the patent description and try and draw up and explain the design. It is very easy for one or two critical words to be taken in another context and if any litigation takes place can make you loose. I have been on both sides of this occurrence and it gets quite picky. If it is a product that will be worth significant money definitely get a patent lawyer involved they have a ton of experience with this.

4. TheyCallMeCy

TheyCallMeCy Member

Yeah, I'm trying to pull together the funds for a lawyer - until then, I've been doing some hefty research and cross-checking with thesaurus.com constantly open. Thanks for the response!

5. Patent attorney engineer

Patent attorney engineer New Member

Hi there,

My top three tips:

Firstly, keep the invention confidential until an effective patent application is filed. It sounds pretty basic, but you would be surprised how many people get it wrong. It is permissible to confidentially discuss your invention with others, and of course it's best to have some proof of that confidentiality. Ideally that proof would be in the form of a formal confidentiality agreement (aka Non-Disclosure Agreement).

Secondly, find a good patent attorney that you can work with. There is a world of difference between filing a patent application and filing an effective patent application. There is a lot more to getting a patent that filing a patent application - you will be starting a long term business relationship.

Thirdly, prepare a business plan. Even the best prepared patent application will not make you money by itself. In fact it will cost (a lot of) money. Take the time to think it through and make an informed investment decision before getting started.

Good luck.