• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Torque required to move a turntable by a belt/chain drive

Discussion in 'Calculations' started by AbhishekAnand, Mar 14, 2014.

1. AbhishekAnand

AbhishekAnand New Member

This is a dual axis solar tracker I am working on. I need to calculate the torque required to turn the panel about the bottom turntable and the shaft at the top. I will be using stepper motors to turn it. The motors will be coupled by

1. Turntable : Belt drive/ Chain drive. (I am thinking to make the chain drive out of a bicycle chain-sprocket.)
      2. Shaft : Gears. One on the shaft and other on the motor.

I need to know how to calculate the torques required from the motors to make it happen.
      In particular the torque required by the base motor coupled to the turntable. All the force acting on the turntable is the weight of the entire structure acting downwards but the force applied is sideways.

Also, how do I go about designing the drives and gears.

I have done some calculations for the dimensions of the parts but I am not sure about them.
      Panel Specs : 345x350x21 mm 1.2kgs

This is my design. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfs6n2zds7co3zz/Model.jpg

3. dpride

dpride Member

A suggestion would be to mount the panel in a yoke to "balance" your unit. The present design puts off center loads on both axises
      when the panel moves from horizontal. Your tilt axis stepper motor will have greater holding power in that configuration.