• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Translation to rotation

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Sam75, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Sam75

Sam75 New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to have your opinion about a project I am working on.

The limitation here is I can't use gears.

[video=vimeo;62556360]http://vimeo.com/62556360[/video]

What do you think of my proposal ? Can you think of something simpler ?

Thanks

3. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

What exactly is your application? When starting the motion initially, you would also have to establish the motion of the output shaft by turning it directly (kind of like a starter on an engine). Then, the output shaft would not be able to slow too much since if it stopped (particularly at any of the cam singularities) the output rotation would need to be reestablished by directly rotating the output shaft again. I think that this must always be the case for any design since your input is cyclic and not continuously one directional and since your mechanism allows for bi-directional output. Do you need a bi-directional output? I expect there may be a way to design a mechanism that does not require a direct initiation of the output motion if the device output is one-directional.

The mechanical advantage seems like it would be low, and I fear that this may cause binding if the friction can't be kept low as well. What kind of mechanical advantage does the mechanism provide?, or what mechanical advantage do you need?

Also, in the animation, it's hard to tell what the red components are doing.

Just my initial thoughts...

4. Sam75

Sam75 New Member

Already getting too technical for me (studying architecture)

I need to keep the system as simple as possible, this is a motion over a period of 12 hours (the reason of the yellow part)

Then I need to convert the blue translating part into a rotation of the green pipe on the left (0 to 45°)

The red part in between is for now the only way I found to connect the translation and the rotation.

I am going to make a better video of the whole object, will be easier to understand what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

5. PierArg

PierArg Well-Known Member

Hi Sam,

i can't see your attachment.
      Could you re-post it?

Thanks

6. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I can see the video OK in the original post

7. PierArg

Hi Gareth,
      I see just a white rectangle :confused:

NOTICE: there seems to be another problem...i can't find the botton to attach a file.
      I prepared an image to show you what i see but i can't attach it. :confused:

I'm so sorry for all these problems

8. Eric B

Eric B New Member

I am assuming the rotation of the cam (yellow part) is how you are driving this mechanism. Maybe it will be clearer with the new video?
      It looks like the linkages between the cam follower (blue) and the green pipe will cause you problems in this design. You have no mechanical advantage between the third link and the lever on the green pipe, so you will have very little force transmitted to the green pipe to move it, compared to the force you will need to supply to the linkages. You would be better off extending the lever on the pipe, so that you can drive it directly with the cam follower. The shape of the cam or the pivot point for the pipe would have to change to give you enough travel for the pipe to move through its' 45 degree motion. Either way, you would have plenty of force to move the pipe.
      Of course, I could be looking at this the wrong way...

9. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

PieArg,
      To see the video you need Flash Player installed on your computer.
      To insert an image, it has to be hosted online, then click the button that looks like a tree in a frame and paste the URL.

10. PierArg

Hi Matthew
      i've already installed Flash Player on my computer...i will try to reinstall it.

About posting the files i was looking for the classic icon "clip" shaped.
      To be honest i found the icon that you mentioned but i want to post a ".pdf" file
      That icon allows me to post only jpg, jpeg, png, gif files

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    11. Sam75

Sam75 New Member

This is how I did it first but then the height of the yellow and blue parts are much bigger (I need to save space). The red part is not only here to translate the motion, it also amplifies it. You see what I mean ?