• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • trike

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by desai95, Mar 7, 2014.

1. desai95

desai95 Member

Hey der everyone i gotta project need to make a trike which is electrically as well as hummanly controlled i m getting problem in selecting the material and shape for the rods,as i ve to keep in mind the strength as well as weight pls leave comments and help me out wid the right decision

3. MadLogger

MadLogger Member

Desai95, What is the envelope that you are working within? What is the weight limit of the trike? What is the expected load on the vehicle? Just curious, because the Big Wheel design might have some opportunity here. A wide unibody chassis supporting the electric driven rear axle (motor, battery, operator) with a raised center post to support the front human driven wheel and handle bar steering. The chassis could then be a ridgid plastic box (as the big wheel was) or a stamped aluminum, or even a carbon fiber configuration, depending on your budget.

4. desai95

desai95 Member

It should basically carry load of two people and is for a competition efficycle check out the criteria on effi.saenis.org the frame should be made of steel or its alloys and min dia of tubes in the frame should be 1 inch and it should carry load of two persons each can weigh 115kg and a payload of 20 kg. please help out with anything u can

5. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

This is an SAE engineering student competition. Assistance from working engineers is not permitted.

From the 2013 rulebook.
      http://effi.saenis.org/Effi-Cycle 2013 Rulebook.pdf

"The research, analysis, and design of all vehicles entered by a college must be performed
      solely by current SAE INDIA student members of that college. Only fabrication assistance
      for things requiring outside assistance is allowed. Teams are expected to have full
      participation from all concerned people"

Your team mates, faculty advisor and professors are the people you should be looking to for guidance.

I participated in the SAE Mini Baja while I was in school. It was one of the high points of my time in college. Working in a team, creating something from nothing is very satisfying. Enjoy the experience and I am sure your vehicle will perform well.

6. MadLogger

MadLogger Member

Erich, This looks like a really interesting project. I may build one for myself, just for fun. With the materials to choose from, I would look into EMT tubing. Readily available in 1 inch diameter, strong, lightweight, easy to work with, form and weld. I build my son's race kart using 3/4 inch EMT and it holds up very well. He has been in a few crashes in excess of 40 MPH (64 KPH) with no innury and minimal damage to the vehicle. As for the design, I would look to the side by side paddle boat configuration to drve the front wheel and an electric motor/generator to drive the rear wheels. You may even be able to use an alternator as a brake, which would charge the battery under braking.

7. desai95

desai95 Member

Thanks erich never mind and thanks for ur wishes

8. desai95

desai95 Member

Thanks madlogger for ur guidance and tips