• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Truck Hydraulic Mobile Crane

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by k1mJo, Jul 25, 2012.

1. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

What exactly, do you want to know?

3. k1mJo

k1mJo Member

I want sample project of Truck Hydraulic mobile crane,There are a lot of cranes projects.But,i couldn't find this kind of project that i mentioned.

4. gjpeters

gjpeters Member

k1mJo, It sounds like your company needs to hire an experienced contractor with previous knowledge in this field. I hope you also have the ability to conduct fatigue testing and analysis.

Personally I would consider it unethical for me to design something like this myself without working within a team of engineers with direct relevant experience. I strongly encourage you to do the same.

Good luck with your project.

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

k1mJo, your question is so general as to be impossible to answer. People here can assist you with specific questions, but nobody here can design a crane for you on this forum, or provide you with everything you need to know about crane design starting with nothing.

If you have to ask such basic questions you're nowhere near being ready to consider manufacturing such a mechanism.

6. MDR

MDR Active Member

7. PWASS

PWASS Well-Known Member

8. Dave B

Dave B Active Member

I agree with the many replies above that this is a dangerous mechanism if not done properly 5 tons is a lot of weight .
      From an engineering perspective you need to start with design goals;
      Load: you mentioned 5 tons
      Reach: Maximum Distance load will be from base structure center line.
      Lift: Maximum height load will need to be raised above the base structure or truck bed.
      Weight: Maximum weight of crane itself, since this is on the tailgate of a truck it is important factor in mobility.

Having the above then leads to more fundamental questions:
      Truck bed design: What class of truck does this fit on.
      Ground reach distance for stabilizers and optimum positioning of these based on truck bed size.

Once the basic design parameters are understood you can progress to the engineering aspects.

Select a linkage design that will fit the criteria above.
      then analyze each link.
      Link:
      Free body diagram of each
      Moments , stress and strain , stress riser points for reinforcement , material, etc.
      Joints: This includes sliding joints and pivot joints.
      Free body diagram of each
      Same thing moment, stress strain , stress points of highest for further design considerations, material selection.
      Mast: This is the main support column from which all forces translate to:
      Repeat all of the above to this point and develop an appreciation of its loads it must hole when the crane moves through it's full volume of reach and height.

Attachment to truck bed
      Stabilizers to truck bed that help resist the moments form the load.
      Etc
      As you can see this is an involved analysis that is critical to do right in order to insure the load is not dropped or the crane does not explode.

In the US these type of devices must be thoroughly designed and tested for fatigue life, extreme environmental conditions of temperature and terrain to avoid litigation. This makes for a much more reliable platform users of the crane so they can depend on it working as advertised.

9. CarolRobles

CarolRobles Guest

I think you have got good answers for Dave and they will be really helpful for you.

10. lapachacha

lapachacha Member

quite an insight dave...is there any sample available with you?

11. steelpipe

steelpipe Guest

I like the design, but is still learning, hoping to become a master.