• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Ultrasonic welding of Nickel to Aluminium

Discussion in 'Joining & fabrication' started by arvinduk92, Dec 10, 2014.

1. arvinduk92

arvinduk92 New Member

I need to weld a 0.127mm Nickel strip to a 2.5mm thick Aluminium(Nickel plated). I attempted this using the MSK-800 machine made by MTI, but the weld was very weak. Is this joint possible? If yes, what are the energy requirements(approx)?

3. AFCPPF

AFCPPF New Member

Hello,

First and foremost, yes you can see in a diagram presented by the American Welding Society, in the Welding Handbook that you can weld nickel with nickel or nickel with aluminum directly.

From my experience welding dissimilar metals you should place the toughest metal in the sonotrode side; otherwise the energy delivered by it to the weld will be absorbed by the softer material and this one will become viscous and be extruded out of the weld due to the applied pressure. This means that you must apply your Al component on the anvil side.

You have a very good MSc thesis, by Matthew Carlton Bloss, in the Ohio State University, 2008. He specifically worked with Nickel in USMW (among other materials). You can get it on the web for free.

The energy requirement will mainly depend on two factors; thickness and material hardness. The Welding Handbook also has a diagram for the Energy to apply in a weld.

I believe that you definitively require more pressure to promote weld development and plastic material deformation in the weld zone, otherwise you will only have tip slippage. Now, you must also consider the power applied to the weld. If you take too long to weld, the power delivery will be very low and will not develop a strong weld. If the power is too high you will stick (and I mean STICK) the welding tip of the sonotrode to the Nickel plate. Attention... Power is influenced by the pressure application AND the vibration amplitude.

My opinion, take incremental steps to avoid sticking your welding tip on the nickel because this severely damages tools, reduces their lifetime and takes a lot of work to properly clean-up. In case of Nickel you can actually break the welding tip so go up in small steps.
      BR