• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Valve design guide recommendations

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by breezy83, Mar 2, 2021.

1. breezy83

breezy83 New Member

Hello, I'm an ME of 14 years, but have only worked on electromechanical consumer products, and haven't work with fluids. I working on a project now that requires me to design a 3 way valve for a shower application, and I was hoping to find some design guide recommendations. Any help would be much appreciated!

3. Oilytrunk

Oilytrunk Well-Known Member

There are a lot of helpers here, I know forgot their names tho. :D

4. steven_hg

steven_hg New Member

for some time I was engaged in the design of 3D models for living quarters and this is all that I remember about the shower

The shower valve is then screwed into position, centred over the bath at a comfortable height, and the intended locations of the fixed shower head & hose outlet are noted.

A piece of wood is screwed to the plywood rear of the stud wall and levelled with packers to ensure that the shower valve protrudes out from the tiled wall by the correct amount as set by the valve manufacturer. This will ensure the controls protrude by the correct distance when the wall is finally tiled

The shower valve is then piped up to with hot & cold supplies, and piped out of with mixed supplies leading to the fixed head, hose shower head and bath

The stud wall is build straight, flat & plumb – perpendicular to the main bathroom wall, so the bath would fit against it tightly allowing for a good watertight seal

4×2” CLS studwork is used to give the stud cavity suffiecient depth to accommodate the valve fitting, and a piece of 18mm plywood is fixed to the back of it (to screw the shower valve onto for a secure fixing).

Horizontal noggins are added at levels that correspond with plasterboard sizes and in locations that will not clash with the intended locations of the shower head(s) or the shower valve.