• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Vertical Fine Adjustment Mechanism

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Edd, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Edd

Edd New Member

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get a bit of guidance as I'm a complete novice at mechanical design. I'm attempting to make a simple tool for my workshop for which i need a linear mechanism that can be finely adjusted up and down and locked in position.

The tool I'd like to make is a simple device for shaving down the thickness of leather. Basically it is just a standard razor blade, clamped down at an angle. Underneath the blade is a roller-bar, which can be adjusted up and down to allow varying thicknesses of the leather to be shaved off as it is manually passed through under the blade.

Here are a couple of pics of the tool, which is no longer in production:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to achieve an adjustable up/down movement using standard components or where I could buy a ready made mechanism like this.

Thanks a lot,
      Edd

3. sgwilliams

sgwilliams New Member

You could use a Nylok® nut with a hand adjustment. This would let you be able to spin the adjustment and it would still hold it firmly in place. We manufacture cam follower bearings and sometimes add a Nylok® Nut or Insert depending on what our customer specifies.

http://www.nylok.com/our-products/mechanical-locking--thread-sealing/blue-nylon-pellet

I have specified this product for our grinding machines also which has many fine adjustments to them and they stay put even with all the vibrations of the machine.

Good luck!

4. Edd

Edd New Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll check those out.

I was considering mounting some kind of mini vice to get the vertical motion.