• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Vertical steel processs tank-Shell plate buckling concern

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Wilbri, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Wilbri

Wilbri Member

Nov 2012
      I have been assigned to design an open top process tank in general accordance with API 650.
      The tank diameter is 10200mm and the overall height is 10700mm.
      The material is carbon steel and the shell plate thickness is 6mm.
      Top curb angle is 80x80x6 angle.
      My concern regards the possibility of the shell plate buckling due to the vertical loading imposed by a horizontal structural comprising of two beams supporting a walkway and central vertical vertical agitator.
      The two main horizontal support beams are 720x250mm I section and are situated 1850mm apart. Therefore the load at each support point is 2500 kg.

Other than carrying out an FEA, I have absolutely no idea how to resolve this problem

Your advise and recommendations would therefore be most welcome.
    3. rrohret

rrohret New Member

Jun 2011
      If I was assigned this problem, I would do this, in this order:

1. FEA. I could model this up at work in SW and Cosmos and be done in less than 3 hours. This is apparently not available.

2. My second choice would be to use superposition to design a vertical supports beneath each of the 4 beams connection points to individually support the 2500kg. For example, a 150x150x 6mm tube that is 10,700mm long should and attached to the walls of the tank would easily support the 2500kg. Attaching the tube to the walls of the tank will greatly increase the tubes resistance to buckling.This removes the vertical loading from the tank and only increases cost/material requirements slightly versus changing the wall thickness to 8mm of some other process. Calculation of both problems (tank wall strength) and vertical support strength are straightforward to calculate.