• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Wax Mold release agent

Discussion in 'Plastic moulding' started by Mekanimo, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Mekanimo

Mekanimo Member

Hi,

I'm trying to hand-make a rigid foam mold in which I will pour melted wax , before I do this I'd like to know what would be suitable as a release agent to coat the foam mold to prevent its adhesion with the wax.

Any Idea?

3. Steven Soibelman

Steven Soibelman New Member

I hate to tell you this but the wax is going to stick to any surface that is waxed or otherwise. I would suggest a silicone mold release as the only option in that circumstance. The problem that I see with a silicone mold release is that you will more than likely get an orange peel surface as a result. The other thing you could try is a PVA sprayed on release agent. I am not sure that you won't still have some problems releasing the part but that will be very much a matter of draft angle and complexity of the part. If you can I would make the surface of your mold from RTV silicone molding material and then you should have no problems.

4. naga1501

naga1501 Member

Hi Mekanimo,

Even i tired this with PVA sprayed realsing agent, it works well. that too with complex shape.
      also i have done this with WAX.
      hope it could be helpful!
      Regards,
      Naga

5. Mekanimo

Mekanimo Member

That's more than helpful , thank you all