• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Weighing Scale Design Best Practices

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by alexanderkjones, May 10, 2013.

1. alexanderkjones

alexanderkjones New Member

Hi everyone, I'm designing a custom scale for beehives with a modicum of success but I'm looking for design leads to books, posts, websites, on basic weighing scale design from a mechanical perspective. This is an outdoor application and I am designing vs buying pre-existing technology because this is a custom application for data analytics and I'm using my own load cells and circuitry.

My biggest design challenge has been in designing the platform that the hive sits on, more specifically how to keep it connected to the load cells and frame underneath it. Any insights would be great appreciated, thanks!

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

Its hard to give detailed info without any details of the load cells, but in general I would have two pieces of advice

1) make sure things are not over constrained. I would recommend rigorously listing the 6 degrees of freedom of the platform and noting which attachments account for the elimination of which degrees. Over-constraining it could damage the load cells, under-constraining it means it could fall apart or whatever. Many engineers try to make things better by beefing them up or making them stiffer to make them stronger. This often backfires, and I think that would be especially true in the case of a scale.

2) take into account drippage and water infiltration since it is an outdoor application. a drip loop on the cabling and some grommets could save a world of hurt later

4. SparkoShell

SparkoShell New Member

I thing you should share more details about your project then anyone would be able to reply you in a better way.
      There are many sites providing you scales related the accessories. Some are also there with their assistance in designing and making process. It would be better to search a bit more about it.

5. SparkoShell

SparkoShell New Member

Here is some motivation for you. Check this design to have some idea and guideline. A useful design and easy one to use too.

6. Jackson2

Jackson2 New Member

I think if you must try custom made load cells that mostly companies offering. Because they also provide you full detail that how to use that load cells and what outcomes you get with that load cells.