• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Weird Symbol

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Xenobius, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Xenobius

Xenobius New Member

Hi all,

So its only weird to me because I cannot understand it but I am trying to draw https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/GDM1602K-Extended.pdf this LCD (page1) on a CAD application to learn a bit and the 4 mounting holes are labeled as "4 - O2.5"

For me this means that the Diameter is 2.5mm but what is the 4? What does the 4 mean?
      As I write this question I realise that it may mean that all 4 mounting holes are of the same diameter? Could it be that?

Thanks a lot
      C

3. maniacal_engineer

maniacal_engineer Well-Known Member

typically that is done as "4x dia .025" or "dia2.5 4 plcs" but yes, I am pretty sure it means four places.

4. FrankG

FrankG New Member

I agree. It means 4 - 2.5mm diameter holes

5. The_Inventor

The_Inventor Member

I would be more concerned by the incorrect dimensioning of the LED grid pattern.

6. Xenobius

Xenobius New Member

Hey thanks everyone for your help :)
      Much Appreciated!

In the same diagram I also found another one saying 16 - xxx for all the 16 pins

7. nefthymiou

nefthymiou Member

It means 4 holes ,of diameter 2,5 mm. An also 16-xx means 16 holes with a diameter of 1mm .(Simplified presentation of Dimensions -its a common Practice in Drawing of equal values or same things )

8. marcus2of10

marcus2of10 New Member

What may be part of the confusion is the 0 with a slash "/" through it in those callouts. In many CAD drawings that is the symbol for Diameter, not a zero.