• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What follows is an off-the-wall idea

Discussion in 'The Leisure Lounge' started by Justcurioustwo, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Justcurioustwo

Justcurioustwo New Member

Before jumping to wild accusations just spend a moment to consider its potential. I’m sure it doesn’t work too but still I need some proof before I bury the idea.

There are a large number of variables involved here which is way over my head and that is why I am here. At 70, I can take the truth so have at it pro or con..

Like many others who are trying to come up with a new form of renewable energy I gave it a shot, and this is what I came up with. The concept is simple enough, it uses the pressure of ocean depths and expanding air bubbles as they rise from the ocean below.

seaengine2.jpg

3. Justcurioustwo

Justcurioustwo New Member

SeaPower description

Attached is a diagram that details a new energy generating power source using the expanding rise of air underwater as a lifting force.

This is the same principal that keeps a boat afloat.

In the diagram, there is a linear row of balloons. The lower balloon or inverted umbrella; is injected with 300 cubic feet of air compressed to 18 ATM resulting in a volume of 16.66 cubic feet of air.

When the first balloon rises 99 feet (3 ATM) a second balloon attached to the first one is injected with 300 cubic feet of air compressed to 16.66 cubic feet of air.

In the diagram provided this process is repeated having five (5) balloons rising. The upper balloon at 3 ATM has a lifting force of 6.400 pounds

The next balloon at 6 ATM has a lifting force of 3,200 pounds

The next balloon at 9 ATM has a rising force of 2,133 pounds

The next balloon at 12 ATM has a lifting force of 1,600 pounds

The next balloon at 15 ATM has a lifting force of 1,080 pounds

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total pulling force is a continuous lifting force of 14,413 pounds

This mechanical process can be converted to electrical output.

If it takes less power to keep the system running than the output created; then this is a positive idea. If not; this is a dead horse with nowhere to go.

4. s.weinberg

s.weinberg Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

I think you nailed the problem on the head.
      The reason the balloons will rise is that the air inside weighs less than the displaced water. You need to expend energy to displace that water, which is greater the deeper you go, for the same displacement.
      In a perfect system, you'd be able to extract exactly all the energy you expended to fill the balloons. But no system is perfect, so you're going to end up net negative.

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I didn't check your numbers, but calculate for yourself how much energy it takes to compress that volume of air to 18 ATM. You'll find it's exactly the same as the energy you could retrieve from the upward motion of the balloons. That's in a perfect world... in reality. frictional losses will result in you getting back less energy than you put in.