• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What is advantage and disadvatage of Diecasting

Discussion in 'Metal casting & moulding' started by endurance, Jan 30, 2012.

1. endurance

endurance New Member

Aluminium die casting is used by automobile company in large scale.

3. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

die casting has a place for many applications; induction motors to engine blocks. More suited to high volume than one off's but good, i believe, for fairly detailed and thin walled components.

not sure what the question is ?

tony.

4. AndrewR

AndrewR New Member

To talk about the advantages of diecast aluminium you need to compare it to something, typically this is plastic injection molding. There are alot of pros and cons when comparing the two. The one that always stick out to me is tool life as a very general rule aluminium diecast tools are good for around about 100,000 shots, plastic injection mold tools if made correctly (for non glass filled plastics) can often be good for 1 million+ shots. Often with Aluminium parts you will need to do post processing to trim flashing, Powdercoat to prevent corrosion and give an acceptable customer finish etc...Of course if you want really strong parts without having to go to a highly glass filled plastic diecasting is the obvious option. Let are alot of other differneces of coures and I am interested in anyone elses thoughts. I can think of at least one part I have been involved with that should have been plastic instead of diecast and another the other way around! sometime the choice is not always clear at the design stage. Just once we changed a diecast tool to run a plastic part (or was it the other way around?? cannot remember now)

5. kevin.koehler

kevin.koehler Member

What makes that a bad thing?

6. parneetsinha

parneetsinha Member

Advantages: -

Excellent dimensional accuracy and closer dimensional tolerances
      Reduces or eliminates secondary machining operations.
      A process that can be fully automated.
      Mold or dies can be use repeatedly.

Disadvantages: -

Die casting has high initial cost.
      It is limited to high-fluidity metals.
      Casting weight must be between 30 grams.
      Casting must be smaller than 600 mm.
      A certain amount of porosity is common.

7. John Bouvier

John Bouvier New Member

Porosity was our biggest problem. I was involved in large sand castings of aluminum rings. The application was for a high pressure environment and so voids had to be minimized, particularly for machining penetrations. We had to X-Ray each part prior to acceptance. Unless you are involved in high volume and want to minimize post casting machining, you must consider die costs carefully.

8. leahuc

leahuc New Member

Hi all

Does anybody know where can I find more info regarding Alu die casting?
      I'm interested more about general rules for design, good practices, tips&tricks, etc...

Thanks in advance, sorry for my english :)

9. parneetsinha

parneetsinha Member

Hey, if you want more information regarding aluminium die casting then you can search on Google. There are so many informative blogs and articles are available for die casting.