• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What is the worst piece of design ever done?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Camid, Sep 17, 2011.

1. AndrewMarshallDesign

AndrewMarshallDesign New Member

YES!!! the XLERATOR is an awsome hand dryer which is sooo powerful you cant keep your hands under it. I heard they are soo powerful they cant put them in Ladies toilets. Its just a shame about the name.... I see what they are trying to do but it doesnt really work Xlerator isnt really Xcelorator.

I saw a guy in Vicoria Station who was passing his hands through the sides of a Dyson air blade and wondering why it wasnt working. despite the idiot proof illustrations and intuative colour coded design he was baffled as to why it wasnt working. (if youre gunna be dumb you gotta be tough.. or in his case... have wet hands)

3. AndrewNew

AndrewNew Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd agree that the Dyson products are particularly badly designed. Like most things, they have their faults but in my (limited) experience they are generally effective and functional, although I don't find them aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately Dyson himself is one of a breed of not-really-all-that-talented relentless self-publicist (Norman Foster, Alan Sugar, Kevin Warwick and Susan Greenfield are other examples that immediately spring to mind, and yes I just noticed that three of them have peerages as well but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it) who have an inate and unquantifiable ability to drive me almost insane on sight. You don't want to be in the room with me when one of them comes on the telly if you have an at-all sensitive disposition or an aversion to rude words.

4. Brian Hill

Brian Hill Guest

This may be obscure...
      The latch that snaps down a Harlie Davidson hard pack saddle bag.
      It doesn't work if it is made to print. Check that. Not a single part of that assembly is made to print. As it is manufactured, it is one of the most complex joints one could imagine.
      It could be simple, but since it has been done that way 'forever', no one wants to change it.

It was my job to make an electronic lock retrofit in there.
      But come to think of it, most everything I've worked on in association with HD was a 'unique' design experience.

5. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

I really dislike the "new" type of pedestrian crossing that's been springing up all over the place. Instead of the "walk" green-man sign being directly opposite you on the other side of the crossing, it's now often at hip height right next to you. To make matters worse, many don't even have buzzers!!! Awful , awful design - I've seen many pedestrians not realising when it's their turn to cross and just standing there sheepishly (myself included).

6. GarethW

This crossing is apparently called the "Puffin crossing". From what I've just Googled it doesn't seem very popular with others too.

[​IMG]

7. Michael Davis

Michael Davis Member

[​IMG]

I realize this comment will be extraordinarily unpopular with the Apple fans out there, but my vote is the iPod Mini, second generation with the ac charger left off.

While it was a bellwether product for Apple, defining the early iPod lines, it was in many ways a kind of bizarre success story, or as W.C. Fields once said, a sucker is born every minute, the number of people who loved this little jewel is astonishing.

While the human factors of the Synaptics dial control switch was terrible and the display was dim and time consuming to use, and this was an early example of a long time Apple policy of not building user replaceable batteries for their products, the real reason for worst ever vote was the battery failing, and the way that Apple decided resolve problems with it.

If you don't know already, the battery failed after a couple of months use, never reaching the promised 400 charges, and if you left the battery by itself unused, for a few months, you would not be able to recharge it. The sad part is the way Apple decided to address the problem: replace the battery only to those who made some kind of significant effort with customer service for replacement. By replacing the battery, and not fixing the charging circuit problem, Apple basically said there is nothing wrong with the product, with no recall and no forced government recall either.

The only thing the whole process succeeded in doing for me was cause me to not ever buy Apple products as the distaste for Apple because of the failure to recall was lasting.

8. cwarner7_11

cwarner7_11 Well-Known Member

Actually, if you consider the total history of the Concorde, it had a phenomenal safety record, and did exactly what it was intended to do. I would have to consider it a good design...

9. Michael Davis

Michael Davis Member

:!: Absolutely I agree. The Concorde was a craft 40 years ahead of its time, supersonic, in commercial use. No supersonic craft are in commercial service today. Fantasitc aircraft, a bold engineering statement.

10. GarethW

I'm right there with you on this. They are literally trying to reinvent the wheel ;)

11. GarethW

Switches on bike lights! Mine always switch themselves on in my bag and the batteries are flat by the time I need them. Very annoying. :evil: