• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What is the worst piece of design ever done?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Camid, Sep 17, 2011.

1. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

British taps! The worst design ever

The picture below illustrates the fundamental weakness of the design. Need I say more.
      BRITISH-TAPS.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    3. Variant1

Variant1 Member

[​IMG]

Coil top stoves... as both a designer, and a cooking enthusiast, I utterly ABHOR these things.

4. mhjones12

mhjones12 Well-Known Member

Remote controls. Manufacturers must think that the more useless buttons they can cram on a remote control, the better it will sell. For this one, I never use anything but volume up and down. Any time we accidently bump a button we have to spend 5 minutes trying to figure out what we hit and how to undo it.
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    5. marine&hydraulic

marine&hydraulic Member

FrayBentos corned beef can without doubt ...copied by many also ...cut more fingers than could be counted ... believe at one stage they had a competion label on the tin requesting ideas for a new way to open their tins...for those that can remember there wa a key which came with the tin and you had to thread the eyelet of the key into a protruding piece of metal that was on the side top edge of the tin.

6. design-engine

design-engine Member

I hate the typical oatmeal container. The lid has a lip and it tricks you into thinking it's a handle. Wala... oatmeal all over the kitchen floor. I could write on this topic for a day.

7. GarethW

Here's another example of what I consider to be bad design:
      photo.JPG
      This is a pic of a new development in Cambridge (UK). Yes folks, a 1-bed luxury hovel in this stunning complex can be yours for only £240,000!

OK, well the buiding itself is pretty hideous (just look at those pillars made from galvanised steel), but what really gets my goat is the wooden panels. They look OK-ish for maybe the first few months, but then then they start to weather and decay and look awful. In Britain architects currently have an obsession with incorporating wooden panelling in the design of buildings. I don't know why, but I have the following theories:

1) So the developers can boast something like "0.005% of materials were from sustainable sources"
      2) To help guarantee the building looks so bad it's pulled down and rebuilt after 20 years (nice bit of repeat work)
      3) To give the development a strong, bright and modern identity (well that's what the developer says actually...).

8. GarethW

Magazine covers! One of my pet hates is the annoying trend of obscuring magazine logos with someone's head.

Examples:

1) "GRA IA" magazine
      grazia-main.jpg

2) "He th" magazine
      Health_magazine_cover.jpg

3) "FILM RE" magazine
      sonam-kapoor-filmfare-magazine.jpg

To me all this looks idiotic, bordering on the indecipherable. In my opinion the 1st rule of good graphic design is that you should be able to read the words.

9. mike2411

mike2411 New Member

So true....that has to be one of the worst ideas......EVER! Who, in their right mind, though "one handed washing" was a good idea. You have to hold the handle down with one hand while you wash/rinse the other. BAD!!!!

10. mvalenti

mvalenti Well-Known Member

Government...... We need an ECO and complete redesign....

11. GarethW

SQUARE windows. Duh!