• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What paint has a 'slippery' finish like smooth LDPE?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by ship69, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ship69

ship69 New Member

Hello

What paint finish most closely resembles smooth LDPE? (Low Density PolyEthylene)

Background:
      I have 3D printed some prototypes for a plastic consumer product using 3D Printing using SLS of Nylon 12 material (Fine Polyamide PA 2200). Apparently sintered Nylon "sucks up" paint surprisingly well. However I need a paint whose finish has the mechanical properties of smooth LDPE. In particular I need a paint finish that is mechanically slippery with a similarly low coefficient of friction sot hat it will behave reasonably well just like LDPE. Colour white if possible.

Any suggestions?

J

3. CPPMable

CPPMable Well-Known Member

What is the normal force that would be applied? Do you think a paint would hold up to continuous friction? Probably not unless the force is very very small.

4. ship69

ship69 New Member

Very roughly, the forces would be say 1 to 2 Newtons, spread out over 2 square cms, with two surfaces of length 5cm rubbing past t each other. It's for a prototype which would need to survive maybe 500-1000 cycles.

5. robertjeffery

robertjeffery Active Member

I had no experience in plastics, but looking from the outside in, the harder the paint finish, I would expect the least resistance to tare / bind up. Therefore I might suggest a 2k paint. If the printed component is quite poruss, you could use high build primer to give good barrier, rub down with 600grit and then apply either a 2k top coat (diamond white) or a base coat for colour then 2k lacquer for toughness .
      ta for now.