• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What type of certifications and LOA are needed to design a ladder?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by AmandaH, Mar 23, 2017.

1. AmandaH

AmandaH New Member

Background: I am conducting research into design services for a 36-inch special purpose aluminum pulpit ladder. The only moving parts are the wheels, which auto lock when stepped upon by the user. It doesn't plug in anywhere, and it'll be used between steel shelving in 36-inch aisles. We have an existing design for 34-inch aisles, https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=47073d3f53e79d3fd563fd8533e321ab, we just need a design for the wider aisles. I've reached out to various vendors with my questions, but no luck getting responses.

Questions:
      Can anyone tell me what kind of engineer I'd need to design such a ladder, and what certifications I should require?
      And it would be super helpful if someone can estimate the level of effort (labor hours) I should expect such a design to take?

Thanks so much for your time!

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

It would be a job for a mechanical engineer. What, if any, certifications are required depend on where you are located and other things.

In many or most U.S. states, an engineer doing work for other people or companies has to have a professional engineer (PE) license. Engineers who are direct employees of the company they're working for do not need a license, unless the company is providing the engineering services for somebody else. In that case the company may have one licensed engineer on the staff who stamps the drawings made by the non licensed engineers. Most working engineers don't have a PE license, and in fact, many consulting engineers don't, either. There's not much enforcement unless you're designing bridges or skyscrapers.

But, for your ladder... if you have a ladder that fits in a 34" aisle, it'll fit just fine in a 36" aisle, why do you need a special ladder?