• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • What would you least like to design?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by GarethW, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

1 weapons
      2 sex toys (I was actaully approached by 'unnamed' to do just that. Was supposed to be spy theamed. I thought long and hard about it :p before I said no)
      3 cheap tacky stuff
      haven't got a 4 and 5

3. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

Geez...that sounds like a fun project...end "unnamed" my way. I'll do it!

Source: link

4. LinkedIn Gopher

LinkedIn Gopher Little furry chap

sound interesting, can I join with you.
      Source: Link

5. ambok

ambok Guest

building buildings. . .

6. Eliss

Eliss Member

Great thread! sex toy win

7. HurricaneLiz

HurricaneLiz Member

Those utility systems sounded like a breath of death, but I'll stick to things I'm actually capable of designing so it'll be more realistic that I might get asked to design one of them...

1.) A vase for Kirklands stores in the US using their current materials, manufacturing processes and finishes from their contractors in China. "I see you have yourself a welder there bud, obviously you can use it to weld two sheets of metal together, could you try lining up the sheets so they're not a quarter inch off before you start welding? I see you have a paint sprayer also, you wanna maybe make sure the paint gets underneath the decorative handle, or is two inches away from the base not enough clearance for you? Ahhh, got some waxy finish that needs a protective coat so it doesn't scratch when it gets breathed on wrong, don'tcha? What? Don't feel like putting the top coat on? No way! Oh, and some rhinestones. Lemmie guess, wrong glue? But don't care if they all fall off during shipping because the customers don't notice anyways?"
      I'd rather design something for a dollar store. There's something deeply nauseating about customers who tolerate this kind of bs, I can't tell whether it's lack of education, choices, taste... it's not a lack of money, they honestly can't tell the difference, don't notice things like that unless I point them out, and it makes holding large corporations responsible for their quality of goods feel a bit hypocritical. So basically, in all that long story, the number one thing I'd hate to design would be something of that quality for that market, not necessarily a vase for Kirkland's, that was just an example.

2.) A little figurine or thing that sits on a shelf and gathers dust and doesn't DO anything, or accomplish any goal other than gathering dust. Maybe I could pretend it was a dust mite hotel. But see, even that would be cool, a little dust mite hotel, and you could use a 3D printer to make it so you could also make little things inside the rooms, and use a magnifying glass to see them and... oh nevermind.

3.) A chair. Specifically a neon orange mod chair that everybody and their mother seems to think they need to make a version of. It's getting to the point where I bet someone could make a stop motion video featuring all the chairs out there that vary only in like one degree from another and line them up in a row to make a morphing point.

4.) An oversized (2'-ish x 4'-ish), load bearing plastic storage box that has to fold up flat for storage when not in use, but be waterproof when assembled. I think it'd be easy in a small box that doesn't have to hold much weight bc you could use living hinges on the folds and a rubber coating on the inside of the lid for a gasket, but a big box? Hrmmm...

5.) Anything video game related, I HATE video games. I know I just made enemies there. Be happy though, haters, I'll send any video game related business your way, and with a blessing. ;)

8. Harshad

Harshad Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good question.

Generally people asks, What do you like?. It is something different, so I must be honest to the question.

I really don't like to design " Electrical Circuit Diagram". Sorry, but I feel bad even when I look at it. It is not for me.

Regards,
      HP

9. imigyjunia

imigyjunia Guest

That is really a hard question. To a designer, every kind of design is challenging at first but still makes you feel satisfied when finish it.

But if I have to name one thing that I like least to design, it should be electrical things as I hate electricity. :lol:

10. GarethW

GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

Here's a couple more things I don't want to design:
      Perfume / aftershave bottles for designer brands.
      Pet related products.
      Stationary related products

11. Variant1

Variant1 Member

The one thing I'd love to design the most, I also have to say is ALSO what I'd like to design the least: CARS

Whatever do I mean? Context/requirements.

While it'd be a dream to design racecars (well in a more open rulebook rule sort of racing), high performance road cars, uber-efficient hypermiling eco machines, and so on... it'd be totally soul-crushing to bound into the banal design paradigms held onto by the big car industry for the last two+ decades. I guess that's why I've never made a resume run on any of the big companies, not that they'd hire me to begin with as I didn't give it up to The Art Center Pasadena. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012