• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Wheelchair mechanism

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by sporty, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sporty

sporty Member

I am trying to add some linkage bar or gear mechanism to a wheelchair which can use to rise or lift the patient to the half standing position. This is to help the patient to stand up from a wheelchair by himself witount using motor or any circuit. To rise the body weight by using hand force is it possible? Can any one provide me the draft of that mechanism design?

Thanks a lot...i am just a begineer, hoping people may share their idea to me..thanks

3. sporty

sporty Member

may i know how to post a picture in here?

4. sporty

sporty Member

the person on the wheelchair is able to stand up,because they are only temporaly use the wheelchair like the people suffer from the accident or elder men or women in home, due to their leg is not able or no energy to stand directly from sitting . SO wish to lift the rear seat to make it in tilt position so they can easily stand up and use walker to walk.
      I have draw the draft but i think the linkage is not good enaugh to support and lift the whole body weight by a hand push force.
      the draft link,
      http://www.fileupyours.com/view/295883/dsg.bmp
      http://www.fileupyours.com/view/295883/55.bmp

And thanks for your reply , help, and your idea...i wish to make a middle complexity mechanism with small forces to rise himself or herself up

5. sozen

sozen Member

hi sporty,

what do you think about adding some manually controlled-basic hydraulic mechanisms:?:

6. sporty

sporty Member

it is good, but i don't know well in hydraulic mechanism, i have think of using mechanism in floor jack which use hydraulic to lift the car to change tires, and can release the seat back in instant, but i search online, i can't get any information about it. and i also consoder that it will increase the weight of wheelchair if hydraulic is using. Thanks for your reply, do you have any idea more, or any drawing or draft you want to share, please share to me too...thanks.

7. [​IMG]

This image comes from a company called 'the standing company' that makes wheel chairs that can stand.
      I'm not sure about the details of how it works.

8. Chas

Chas New Member

Many years ago I came across this chap :

http://www.burgerman.info

I have no personal contact with him & don't know whether he'll be able/willing to help you. If you have a few hours to spare then have a browse thru some of his websites.

If it involves technology & wheelchairs, he's your man.

9. sporty

sporty Member

thanks a lot for yours info. i also searching a lot but they all keep the mechanism secret. i have no idea their mechanism, the standing chair i think they are using motor or hydraulic .

10. shipto

shipto Member

my thoughts on the problem please feel free to correct any assumptions i have made:

half standing position would be approximatley 50 degrees of movement by the wheelchair seat. so maybe a handle on the side connected to a properly worked out pantogram mechanism would do the trick on its own. if for example you can convert 100 degrees (or thereabout) movement by the handle into 50 degrees that would mean you have around two times the force applied to that handle to lift the patient. probably not enough on its own for the patient to lift him/herself but maybe if the seat was pivoted at 2/3 the patient could apply pressure on the foot rests and then the patients weight would aid in the lifting too.
      I have done a quick drawing (not to scale or anything near accurate) hopefully it will give you a starting idea.
      [​IMG] Hope this image works