• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • When does a Mini stop being a Mini?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by Pete, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Saw this article on the BBC website - under the subheadline "how far can BMW stretch the brand before it snaps".

Discuss :)

3. DesignTechnologist

DesignTechnologist Member

I saw a similar article with the SMART Car. Maybe it's common around the world. But in North America, the SMART Car is a 2 seater car that you can fit a few bags of groceries behind the seats. The article I was reading was talking about a new SMART car that had 4 doors and can accomedate up to 4 passengers. It could also hold 2 average size hockey bags behind the back seats. The companies go through all this work to make them small/unique and that's what gives them some of their appeal. Now they're going to be producing what almost every other auto company has.

I guess we'll just wait and see what some of these companies produce.

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Smart forfour we had over here - they stopped producing it as it was far too expensive and not particualy eco-friendly (other than how it was produced). I saw a concept for a smart "cross over" which i guess would be the same size as this Mini, but I dont think that never left the drawing board

5. DesignTechnologist

DesignTechnologist Member

It could have been. I know it's something we (I) haven't seen over here. We have the typical FourTwo, I think it's called. But you look at some cars that auto manufactures produce and I wonder what are they thinking.