• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Where is best to buy measuring equipment in the UK?

    Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by thebigconsultant, May 30, 2011.

    1. thebigconsultant

      thebigconsultant Active Member

      May 2011
      Likes Received:

      I have set up for myself, and require a good set of measuring equipment.

      Perhaps a box set, or a good source to buy them from.

      Mainly I require equipment such as:-
      - radius gauges
      - depth gauge
      - height gauge
      - etc etc

      Can anybody recommend a good source in the UK for engineering measuring equipment.

      Many thanks in advance!!

      Kind regards, John
    3. GarethW

      GarethW Chief Clicker Staff Member

      Jul 2009
      Likes Received:
      A local CNC manufacturer told me about http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk. I purchased some surface comparator plates from them a couple of years ago. They have a pretty serious catalogue they'll probably send you too!

      The same guy also told me about http://praezisionstools.com/index.html. Not in the UK, but might be worth a look if you're struggling to find what you want.
    4. AndrewNew

      AndrewNew Well-Known Member

      Jul 2010
      Likes Received:
      Certainly for devices like Vernier calipers and micrometers, I would advise you not to scrimp - buy the best you can afford. I have bought cheap products in the past and for such an important part of your work it is false economy. The Mitutoyo range is excellent. Extremely well manufactured and they have a nice "feel". Their products are not cheap, but they would be my recommendation.
    5. solve3d

      solve3d New Member

      Mar 2011
      Likes Received:
      I use a number of sources. You can buy SPI (Swiss Precision Instruments) measuring equipment from MSC/J&L, I have SPI, Mitutoyo and Moor and wright and apart from the feel of the instruments , they are just as accurate as each other.
      Tilgear in Cufley and Chronos in Dunstable for Radius, slip, depth gauges and other measuring equipment. Walshes is another specialist supplier of everything but mainly to the jewellery industry.You will get everything you need from one of these.

    Share This Page

    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
      Dismiss Notice