• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Where to start?

Discussion in 'Industrial design' started by rgreig, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rgreig

rgreig New Member

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, but I'm coming to realize that I love the industrial design side of product development.

Where should I start to make the transition from very technical work to a more creative field?

All of my design experience is with solidworks, but I feel like solidworks is so constrained by manufacturability. My hand sketching skills are pretty poor.

Thanks guys!

3. other

other Member

try some new soft such like rhino, alias, 3dmax, these is used for industrial design, if u can work on it well, maybe u can chagne to that field

4. lumagm

lumagm New Member

Your question seams to me that you don't understand the creativity in field of industrial design. When you design a product, you need to visualize how the product will be realized in real world, because if your product is very good in your opinion it is possible not find the necessary technology for made it. So, first of all, you need to know the technology used in your field of interest, meaning you can create only constrained by manufacturability. If you don't want your product design to become a finished product than... you speak about something else.

5. prattdesigning

prattdesigning New Member

I'm a mechanical designer. I started out very young just sketching every and anything I could think of. I would start there. Let your mind run free and just start sketching or even using Solidworks to create new shapes and designs. Challenge yourself to get better. I use Autodesk Inventor and continually challenge myself to design better. Being creative in your designs just requires you to think outside your box. Good luck.

6. Parrleu

Parrleu Well-Known Member

Hi rgreig,

It seems like there are a multitude of options for going for this now.

You might try the 123d series of free products - They include a program that will turn a series of photos into a 3d map and one that lets you "sculpt" using something like a droid pad. They lack the horsepower of Solidworks, but are great for the creative side of things and may help you decide if making that move is what you want to do.

You can upload designs to places like Instructables, Google's 2d and 3d warehouse, GrabCAD, PirateBay or many nche industrial design sites to garner feedback as you go. Making instructional youtube vids or instructables can both make you better at what you are doing and help you gain a name for yourself in the area before you even have a standard job @ it.

You might also just pick something you feel passionately about - jewelry, musical instruments, organizational tools, etc and design a variety of things for that that really help form and function meet. Utilizing ShapeWays, Kraftwurx or Ponoko or similar sites might help with that - some of them have tools that let you take base designs and twist them around to make your own. Plus if you let your works be printed, you get a cut of any prints made from them - So, it can be a way to make a name for yourself as you dip your toes in. : - )

If you have a particular project in mind, maybe design something for it and have your own prototype printed or cut out. You could also look for crowdsourced funding like at Kickstarter or IndieGoGo or similar to get the project off the ground. If you have any interest in HID design, we are interested in looking at designs from all walks of life for this project series: http://www.mechanicaldesignforum.co...eautiful-HID-(human-interface-device)-designs in fact, and would welcome checking em' out.

Best of luck in your transition, Cheers,
      Heather and Joe

7. andrew_neil

andrew_neil Active Member

I think 3d max is the best option to start with.
      Thanks

Tags: