• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Why are vehicle tyres black?

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by Waqas Tariq, Oct 23, 2016.

1. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Here I was thinking that you know a whole load about tyres... but I should learn to use Google too! ;)

3. MSHOfficial

MSHOfficial Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Hi guys I had a few questions about aircraft tyres.

Do airplanes need different tyres to land in colder or hotter countries?

Do airplane tyres have the same chemical composition as any other tyre?

Is there a need for special treading in aircraft tyres? Also is there a need for extra tubing? If not, why?

Are there any ongoing research on making tyres out of composite materials? If yes, can I have some links? If no, do you guys think there is a future to making aircraft tyres out of carbon fibre and rubber? To make them lighter and more durable.

Do you guys think the prices would be lower or higher considering 50% of the tyres used nowdays would be changed to using carbon fibre tyres? If they are ever made.

4. john12

Good questions. I know that aircraft often have very specific limits regarding the amount of water on the runway and aquaplaning speeds. I'm not sure how this relates to tyres though.

From pictures though it looks like the tread pattern is different to usual car tyres - the grooves face the direction of movement rather than going out to the sides. I'd imagine this is because aircraft tend to land on straight (hopefully), flat runways, whereas cars experience a range of different forces over different types of surface and around corners.

5. Bill Toulas

Bill Toulas Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

6. john12

Yeah, I suppose so. There's that saying that you should never skimp out on anything between you and the ground - shoes, mattresses, and... tyres!