• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • windshield wiper mechanism

Discussion in 'The main mechanical design forum' started by mvrck, May 9, 2013.

1. mvrck

mvrck New Member

Hi.. I have to design windshield wiper so i need some documents or information about it. Could you help me please?

3. Erich

Erich Well-Known Member

My advice.
      Go to an automobile wrecking yard and buy some assemblies and study how they are made.
      Measure motor torques and currents.
      Buy several different designs and try to figure out which one is better and why.

Some call it reverse engineering. I call it real world education.

4. Hantte

Hantte Member

Hi,

You have a lot to learn and develope. I've owned cars for last 30 years and in every car what I've had there are same problems:
      -in high speeds wipers float over the water (new cars I've had: Opel Zafira, Toyota Corolla Verso, Skoda Fabia)
      -wiper mechanisms wear and start keep clunk-noise (old cars: Volvos, BMW, Mazda, Peugeot)
      -only BMW's clunky wipers work in high speed

So, begore you go to junk yard, check which cars are designed to go over 200 km/h. They are worth of studying. Cars designed up to 160 are worthless for you, because they have cheap wiper system.
      (E.g. in my 1994 model BMW 525 there is a motor, which squeeses driver side wiper thighter against windscreen in high speed, and that is not a cheap solution.)

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    5. Michael Ross

Michael Ross Well-Known Member

You should acquaint yourself with Google Patents. There will be a wealth of detailed discussion about this, in the US patent system.

Look also at the switching mechanisms, they are trickier than you may expect. How do they get them to go back to the right spot anyway? And how come you can turn them off in any position and they still finish a complete cycle?

6. RPJessop

RPJessop New Member

Windscreen wiper design

Hi
      I was on team that developed some opposing wipers for a car that unfortunately never saw production. We used two wiper motors, which we synched electrically, rather than one motor mechanically coupled driving two blades. The trick was to simulate the motion through the cycles to get the timing right at various wiper speeds so that they never interfered. As for the blades and blade holders, you can just experiment with a variety from other manufacturers until you find something close to what you want. They mostly attach to the wiper motors in the same way - on a splined cone.
      Regards, Ronald
      www.jim.co.za