• Welcome to engineeringclicks.com
  • Would Fusion 3-D suit my needs?

Discussion in 'Help, info & forum announcements' started by chris watton, Jan 13, 2019.

1. chris watton

chris watton New Member

Hi,

I have been designing scale model kits for the retail market for a couple of decades. I worked for a large Italian manufacturer for a long time, but last year, after being asked to make one silly development too many (that I knew was a waste of time and would not sell), I decided to cut my losses and start to develop and sell my own products.

With that in mind, I sold some assists to invest in new developments, and during this time, I realise just how important 3-D printing is, and how easy it can be to design fittings (like cannon barrels, winch drums, anchors etc.) that have the minutest historical detail on them. But I have always use 2-D for the designs and construction plans.

At the moment, I use the latest TurboCad software, which is absolutely fine for 2-D work. What I do is get copies of the original plans, scale them down and import them (usually TIFF or PDF format) into my workspace, the lines are copied (using simple line and curve commands) and then the various components drawn.

However, when it comes to 3-D work, and more specifically, 3-D work that is intended to create master fittings to be made on a 3-D printer, this is where TurboCad is a little clunky - not helped, I guess, by the fact that I haven't learnt to use that aspect as much as I should.

Would a program like Fusion 3D suite my needs for this type of work? Would it allow me import plans and 'trace' over the lines over the scale drawings easily?

Also, I would like to try and draw the decoration, like figureheads and stern carvings (I have attached a couple of pictures to show the type of work I would need to do). Is this possible? I have also attached a small copy of the plans I need to import into the program to then copy.

In essence, I am just trying to find the best software that is both easy to use and capable of producing what I need?

Thank you,

Chris

(Sorry if what I am asking is basic, but I have been using just one CAD program for so long, I am not sure it is the right one to suite my new needs)

Attached Files:

3. john12

john12 Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

Why don't you give Fusion a try? I believe that it's free for 'startups' below a certain level of income ($100,000 a year?).

I just wanted to say that I love the fact that you got sick of your major employer so you just branched out on your own. That's awesome, best of luck!

4. chris watton

chris watton New Member

Thank you, I didn't know that. In fact, I have halved my income since leaving to work for myself, so am well under the £100k threshold (right now, at least).

I have downloaded the 30 day free trial, and have had a play with it, but not easy - this is the problem when you're too used to using just one CAD package for so long, I guess.

Thank you,

Chris

5. john12

Yeah, I keep meaning to try it but I'm so indoctrinated into the Solidworks world!

6. GoodCat

GoodCat Well-Known Member EngineeringClicks Expert

You can always use the hacked version of 3d modeling software )
      SolidWorks or NX is perfect for modeling the structure itself, but for modeling the elements highlighted in the image you need a completely different program, for example, ArtCam. Although there may be a suitable plugin for SolidWorks to do this, but I’m not sure. For SolidWoks created a lot of plug-ins (maybe more than 100), which at times expand the capabilities of the program.

7. john12

Yeah, I couldn't possibly recommend it but apparently plenty of people do use pirated Solidworks (and I suppose, in a way it actually promotes Solidworks amongst legit users - this is why the Fusion 'startup license' is such a good idea). ;)

However, be warned, Solidworks have been known to come after pirated users, so be careful!